Below is a list of what we should avoid during the holy month of ramadan:
- Fried, fatty foods, sweets and spicy food should be limited during Ramadan they cause indigestion, heartburn, create acidity and weight problems
- Avoid eating heavy foods when you break the fast as the heavy foods are most likely to create a sudden imbalance in the system because the digestive process is not ready for sudden surge of food after prolonged fasting.
- High-fat foods are high in calories and are nutrient deficient which will lead to an imbalanced diet, thereby increasing sluggishness and fatigue during Ramadan
- Fast-burning foods that contain refined carbohydrates such as table sugar and white flour or food like cakes, biscuits, chocolates and sweets. Most Iftar dinners are composed of a ton of carbohydrates. Pasta, rice, bread, sweets and sugars are the most common culprits
- Salt and salted food, such as pickles, sauces, nuts, chips and olives. Dehydration is a risk due to limited fluid intake during the day, and high salt foods can further increase this risk by drawing fluids out of your body…however if u have low blood pressure you can consume a bit more
- Drinking too much caffeine; caffeine diuretics, it will make you pass more urine taking with it valuable mineral salts that your body would need during the dayà tea, cola, coffee, ice tea
- Avoid energy drinks: These are sources of empty calories with very little nutritional value. While they may provide you with instant energy, they will not sustain you through the day and night
- Tea/Coffee lovers can substitute it with herbal hot drinks.
- Over-eating especially at Suhur since it unbalances your diet and causes health problems
- Skipping Suhur
- Sleeping immediately after Iftar and Suhur meals, since your body will require time to digest the food
- Smoking cigarettes. If you cannot give up smoking, cut down gradually starting a few weeks before Ramadan. Smoking is unhealthy and one should stop completely. Smoking negatively affects utilization of various vitamins, metabolites and enzyme systems in the body.
- Inactivity: sustain an active lifestyle with a little thought; this can be attained without much trouble, giving you a healthy body and mind.
Helwi El Hayet
Follow us on Twitter: @HelwiElHayet